Friday, November 28, 2014

Reflections

As I enter my last week in Chile, I started to think about all of the little parts of my day that have made this city a home during the past three months. For example,

The caramel man with his candy stand half-way between my apartment and La Moneda metro who sets out four caramels for me when he sees me walking towards him in the morning. He's finally given up on trying to educate me on the actual name for these square little caramels- he just has them ready  :)

Visits with my adviser,Annjeanette. She has the funniest stories as an American living in Santiago, married to a Chilean, and the best sense of humor. I think we spend more time laughing and comparing strange/funny/amazing/frustrating experiences than talking about my paper sometimes. I couldn't have been more fortunate to work with her.

The Starbucks employees, with their cheerful dispositions, who greet me with an, "Hola Daniela! Will it be the dark chocolate cherry mocha or the hot chocolate today?"

The goofy, scruffy little street dogs. I've come to recognize quite a few now along my regular routes. We'd have a full house if I lived in Chile permanently. They are absolutely adorable- just need a long bath and a trip to the vet.

The guards in my apartment building- they always greet me with so much joy, and let me practice my Spanish with them before I head out into the world for the day.

The InterNations events. I have met some of the most interesting people from so many countries, and always look forward to the next event.

So much that I could add.

And yet, there are also many things that I am ready to leave behind. The pigeons, for example. They are filthy, don't move for pedestrians, and are everywhere. One flew into my head yesterday. It was quite startling and not particularly pleasant.

Along those lines, I will not miss having water (I hope) dropped on my head from the above apartments as I walk through crowded streets. It is always unexpected, though sadly fairly frequent, and always a relief when it happens on my way home, where a shower awaits.

Things are... just a little bit off. Last week I ordered a Subway sandwich, and they actually had every ingredient available. It was the first and only time in Chile. Usually they are missing at least four things that one might want, including half of the bread options, mustard, or lettuce. My favorite salad place is the same way. Never know what you are going to find on any day :)

PDA. Wow! Parks, metros, buses, crowded streets. Places that don't exactly scream romance are rampant with very, very "overly-affectionate," Chileans of all ages.

Smashing onto public transportation. It is hot, someone always seems to have a horrible disease next to you, and there is no room to move.

The inefficiency. Oh, my goodness. No one seems to care about wasting time or doing things with any semblance of logic (though often it is the Americans here that have the most trouble showing up on time)

With all of the quirkiness, and all of the joy, I am so happy that I was able to come. Most days, I have merely laughed over the things that are "just a little different" than in the U.S., and relished the many treasures that this fabulous city has to offer. This past week, though, was pretty challenging. I missed my cousin's wedding, and I missed family Thanksgiving (they were eating turkey, and I had pigeons flying into my head). My cousin, Hillary, had her baby yesterday. A wonderful Thanksgiving blessing! My sister got to share the news that she is pregnant again. Enzo and Noelle were up to all sorts of craziness that only a puppy and toddler can create. It was really hard to be away.

So, today I choose to be thankful for the amazing opportunity that I have had to visit Chile. I also choose to be thankful for my family, my life in the U.S., and for all of the wonderful things that I have waiting upon my return next week.

Displaying IMG_1164.JPG
Cutest two in the family get to play on Thanksgiving.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for chronical-ing your time so well! I'm ready (not really) for my turn!

    ReplyDelete