Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Busy, busy, busy

I realized that I haven't updated my blog in a while, so here is a quick entry for the past week:

I have been busy, busy, busy! So much to do! I am now finished with all of my school visits, and working on the research/paper writing end of things. It is great and incredibly daunting at the same time. I have enough flexibility to go for runs in the morning, and set my agenda, but I still have lots of work to accomplish each day. It has been fun to chose a coffee shop for the day (generally those that have already started playing Christmas music) and get to explore research that will help improve my teaching. I am adapting a little too well to this lifestyle :) I wish I had more time for this during the school year, because it is so valuable! My paper is still quite a mess of ideas, but I suppose that's how the process goes.

Other than research, I have had a full agenda with Fulbright, InterNations, and church activities. It is rare that I have a free evening. Last week I was the only person out of a group of 8 at a wine and cheese night that was working on my second language- most spoke at least 3, and two of the people I met spoke 6 languages fluently. InterNations has been such a perfect group for me, because I have been able to get to know extremely interesting people from all over the world as I practice my conversational Spanish. Church is great as well- so many fun people and activities. My bible study group is busy preparing for Saturday's Talent Show which has resulted in a lot of laughs and terrible dancing.

Yesterday Fulbright hosted their annual Thanksgiving lunch. It was held at the home of the Deputy Chief of Mission for the US Embassy. It was beautiful! Everyone involved in the Fulbright program was invited, from people who conduct interviews, to US teachers, lawyers, etc. that are working on projects in Chile, to all of the Chilean professionals that are getting ready to go to the US next year, to the staff at the Fulbright Commission office. For many of the Chileans, this was their first Thanksgiving, so it was fun to share the tradition with them. The lunch was delicious- American yumminess with tons of Chilean wine. A great combination!

Lots more that I could write, but I am surrounded by books at the university library and have a meeting with my adviser this afternoon for which I'm not quite ready.

Also, my friend Julie sent me this link, which quite accurately/comically describes life in Chile. Thought I'd include it. 20 signs you are culturally Chilean

Mike and I were seated at the table of honor with the host. Super interesting conversations!
Delicious Thanksgiving lunch #1.

I can't wait to get home to Enzo!!! Last week, he was really excited about his new
friend at the dog park. Grant found out that it was Enzo's sibling from the same litter.

1 comment: