Monday, December 8, 2014

What an adventure!

I have been back in the U.S. for two days now, and it is wonderful to be home! It is amazing how quickly one can adapt from one lifestyle to another. It already feels like my Chilean adventure is a memory to be talked about in past tense, even though I was just walking through the streets on Friday.

My three months in Chile far exceeded anything I could have hoped for. It was fun to live in the middle of a densely populated city, experiencing rush hour on the metro and having so much at my fingertips without needing a car. I loved that I needed to use my Spanish to interact with people on the streets (it feels pretty strange now when neighbors approach me and speak in English). I loved how friendly and welcoming Chileans were. I loved how amazingly unique Chile is, depending on which area you are visiting. Outside of Santiago, with a Starbucks on every corner, you can visit the vast desserts in the North, the lake region in central Chile, or the beautiful mountains and glaciers in the south. There is so much to see and do! After seven years of teaching, I loved getting to take three months to step back and watch others instruct. I learned a lot!

I am grateful for all of the people that made this experience what it was. The Fulbright staff chose me and supported me at each step. My adviser was a wonderful resource. So many schools and education professionals shared their time with me.  I was thankful to find a welcoming church so early on. My principal and fifth grade team made lots of sacrifices to accommodate my absence. My mother and father-in-law traveled three days to visit me. My family sent me daily emails and Skyped with me to help me stay connected. So many of you followed along with my adventures, reading my blog and sending me messages. And then of course, there is Grant. Grant supported me and encouraged me to pursue this dream, and I am so thankful! He took care of our house and our crazy puppy, and worked really hard to keep everything afloat while I was in Chile.


So good to be home, sitting by the fire and catching up on 3 months of mail.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    I would love to ask you some questions about teaching in Chile. I am a new ESL teacher and would like to relocate to Chile to teach. If you could email me that would be great!

    Caitlin
    caitlind123@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete