Monday, November 10, 2014

Takeaways

A friend from DC asked me today what the biggest takeaway has been so far in Chile. One idea that I've been reading a lot about recently is bridging. Rather than teaching each language in isolation, the idea is to be continually thinking about the interaction of Spanish and English and focusing on making content and language connections at appropriate instructional moments. I also go back to the PYP model (elementary version of an IB school). My visit to Santiago College left such an impression on me that I asked the PYP Coordinator, Monica, for help contacting similar schools in the area. I am eager to start visiting and thankful for her help in setting it up.

 Another takeaway has to do with willingness to share time and an appreciation for Chilean helpfulness. I have been blessed so much more than I could have hoped for with the schools that have opened their doors to me. Today, for example, I re-visited Nido de Aguila, a private school in Los Condes. The director listened to my specific needs, then tailored the day in such a way that I could meet with the most pertinent people to my project. Each teacher that I observed was magnificent, and happy to have me in his classroom. I met with Jon, the assistant principal, who, like the principal, previously directed a dual language school in the Salem area. Despite the many busy things that I am sure he had on his plate, Jon shared a full hour with me, then invited me to have dinner with his family. He was so passionate about helping under-served students, and so eager to help. Similarly, I talked with Renea, one of the ESL support teachers, for an hour. Afterward, she invited me to join her for a delightful lunch with three other coworkers. I barely knew them, but still laughed for the full thirty minutes. So much fun! Beyond schools, strangers go out of their way to help. This morning, I got off at the wrong bus stop, and didn't know how to get to Nido. I asked a group of people on the street, and they began giving me instructions on how and where to find a colectivo. I'm sure my expression conveyed precisely what I was thinking, "Oh, dear...I'm never going to find this. Maybe a taxi will pass by," so one of them walked up the hill with me, flagged down the colectivo car, and told the driver where I needed to go.

When I think about takeaways, however, I'd have to say that my church experience immediately comes to mind before all else. As a Wheaton girl who has attended many churches over the years and studied the bible in many settings, I've never experienced a community quite like the one at Iglesia Christiana Internacional de Santiago. On my apartment wall, I posted six yellow sticky notes reminding me of my goals for each day in Chile. The one in the middle states, "Que vivan de una manera digna del llamamiento que han recibido (Efesuis 4:1)." (Live in a manner worthy of the call that you have received). I think this is what God has been teaching me during my months in Santiago and the reason He opened up so many doors for me to come. I walked to church last Sunday, and when I was about a half mile away, I heard a couple with a new baby yell, "Hey, Daniela, hop in!' as they flagged down a taxi. When I stepped inside the church (or hotel where services are held) doors, I felt so warmly welcomed. One friend even had a cup of tea in hand for me, which is just what I wanted. During the service, I looked around the room and realized that after only two months, I actually know a lot of the people, and have lived life with them. They are open about their struggles, and excited about their lives. They also care about mine. They are some of the most inclusive, passionate disciples I've met. Carlos and Lucy, the pastor and his wife, have a lot to do with setting the tone and example. The members of this church that I have come to know are really living the lifestyle for which we have been called, and it is beautiful to experience with them.

Sunday afternoon and evening, a group got together for an asado to celebrate a birthday and a new baptism. Standing on the roof of the 24 story apartment, overlooking the city on a perfectly sunny day, I paused and reflected on the great gift that I had received in being included in such an ordinary yet extraordinary event. So much to be thankful for.

Rob, a third grade teacher, was truly one of the best I've observed in
the US or Chile. Such a dynamic teacher!

Casey, a fifth grade teacher, wins the award for the most spectacular classroom.
It was huge, and beautiful, but also impeccably set up.
Why not have a tent in your room?

Fifth graders  designing a house for a client
while practicing their geometry skills.

May have stopped on my way home at the best ice cream place that
Grant and I discovered last week in the mall.


FUN Sunday afternoon at the asado.

Yum! Best part is that we ate it all with our hands :)

Got to watch my bible study leader baptize one of the
members of the study at church on Sunday.

I LOVE this photo that Grant took of Enzo after their hike.
Such a cute, muddy little dog. Had to include it in the blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment